Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Pressure cooker causes kitchen mishap - Spring Hope Enterprise

By Jan Mills

Mama never would use a pressure cooker when I was growing up. I remember her telling someone that they were just too dangerous and unpredictable and she would just use the old-fashioned way to can her fruits and vegetables.

Well, as time passed, she relented from that stand and bought a pressure cooker and never had a bad experience with it (to my knowledge). Now, we all know that mamas lead by example. So, I bought a pressure cooker and have used it for some time now to do quick fixes..ie, boiling chicken to make chicken salad, which takes about 15 to 20 minutes with the pressure cooker vs. an hour or so with a regular pot. And, cooking peas or butter beans in 15 minutes vs. an hour or so with a regular pot.

Never again!

Friday afternoon I decided to make chicken salad and cut my chicken in half, put one half in the oven to barbecue and the other half in the pressure cooker to boil to make said chicken salad. As the steam gathered in the pressure cooker, I was busy doing other things in the kitchen and turned my back from the stove when a shot rang out in the kitchen and water went everywhere — and I do mean everywhere.

The floor, kitchen chairs, stove, countertop, island countertop, ceiling and my back and hair were all sprayed with chicken pot liquor. The little black seal on the top of the pressure cooker disappeared and there was a gaping hole where it had been.

If I had a heart condition, I probably would have had a heart attack. Of course, the dog immediately began to lick up the water on the floor as it was chicken-flavored and I (after my heart settled down) ran for towels to get it up.

Needless to say, the pressure cooker is landfill-bound. The chicken was switched to a regular pot and the day went on. The following morning, I finished the cleanup with a mop and there, under the kitchen island, was the little black seal.

One quick aside — and I try really hard to keep my personal opinions on current happenings to myself — but the recent shootings on U.S. 264 should have everyone concerned. I fear there will be copycat shootings of this kind. If the teenager accused in this case was my son or daughter, that child would need to fear Mama more than any judge and the thought of doing such a thing would never have occurred to that child in the first place because of that fear.

Too many parents want to be their children’s friend today rather than their parent. You can be both, but the child needs to know that there is a fine line and once it is crossed, that parent immediately becomes a parent and not their best buddy.

Jan Mills is The Enterprise’s customer service representative. Reach her at 252-478-3651 and jmills.enterprise@wilsontimes.com.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"kitchen" - Google News
January 22, 2020 at 03:01AM
https://ift.tt/37jBy40

Pressure cooker causes kitchen mishap - Spring Hope Enterprise
"kitchen" - Google News
https://ift.tt/33RZM3T
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment